Dates back to 1901.
Dates back to 1901.
Baseball Prospectus has an amazing rundown of what went down 29 years ago today when Ferris Bueller took his day off and went to the Cubs game at Wrigley Field.
"What’s the score?"
"It’s tied, 0-0."
In other news, this marks the first time MLBO reblogs the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The Sporting News listed the best #1 draft pick for every MLB team. Well almost every team.
The amateur draft began in 1965.
What do the Cubs and the Marlins have in common?
[Neither have won a game in their new ballpark.]
Rookie of the Year (1993)
1) If Thomas Ian Nicholas isnt at the 100th anniversary celebration it’s a crime.
2) You could also call this movie “The Mark Prior Story”
Wow theonion, wow.
John Baker took it like a champ.
To re-cap the season thus far, the Cubs’ 5th starter has lost two games in relief, a player wore the wrong uniform, and the pitcher and catcher collided going for a pop-up.
This is the year!
Junior Lake (21) wearing the Cubs “Chicago” road unis, while Anthony Rizzo wears the new “CUBS” alt road version….in the same game at the same time.
H/t Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs)
North Side Centenary
Although the Cubs didn’t begin playing there until 1916. We need to see more Chicago Whales…
The Cubs have unveiled a new mascot - Clark the Cub.
Can’t wait to see what happens when he drinks Gummi Berry juice.
Here is one hour of color footage, via WGN, of Jim Maloney’s August 19, 1965 no-hitter versus the Cubs.
Dale Sveum fired by the Cubs after two seasons. Here are some theories as to why:
* His constant whining about Theo Epstein “trading away” the Cubs “best players” leaving him with a “AAA team” every September.
* His insufficient explanations on why Sveum is pronounced “Swaim”
* His violation of baseball’s unwritten rule of being manager when the team wanted to find another manager
* The Cubs have a thing for goats, including those that start with “scape”
Monday - Zach Greinke (2009 - AL)
Tuesday - Clayton Kershaw (2011 - NL)
Friday - Roy Halladay (2003 - AL; 2010 - NL)
Saturday - Cliff Lee (2008 - AL)
Greinke won, Kershaw lost, Halladay had a no decision in a Phillies win, and Lee is currently pitching.
Source - WGN 720AM